Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Western Medicine

Today was Day 1 of being red-meat free, and I will be cutting out chicken and turkey in the next few weeks to come. I've been vegetarian before, although it was only for a year. I felt very healthy at that point in my life, and was involved in Yoga, ate lots of fruit and was pretty darn active. I don't remember what my arthritis was like at that time in my life, but I do remember it bothering me while writing, doing dishes, ect.

I made an appointment with my doctor today, and won’t be able to get in until June 14th. That's better than the original date of July 2nd! I am still against going on medication for the arthritis, but am slightly more concerned after talking to my boss's daughter, who has RA in her hands and feet. She told me that not only can RA cause heart disease, but it can also cause cysts on the lungs and other complications. Once I get in to see my doctor, get a check up and a referral to a rheumatologist, I hope to see if it is absolutely necessary to be on medication for this.

I think our idea of healing is all wrong. Why put something into our bodies that is filled with harmful chemicals, throwing the body’s natural healing abilities off course, that only cause more problems in the future? I have RA now, but I sure as heck don’t want liver disease, possible stroke, and other complications all because I put something into my body that was never meant to be there in the first place. Medicine isn’t food. It’s poison. It doesn’t heal us, it hurts us. We have everything we need to heal and live healthy lives right here, we don’t need to swallow pills in order to be healed.

Disease is the body’s way of telling us that something is out of balance. When the mind, body and spirit are balanced, disease is not present, and if it is, it can be healed by spending time with the mind, body and spirit in meditation, proper eating and gentle, loving thoughts. I’m just having trouble getting myself back into balance...it is much easier said than done.

Positive thought for today...

Be good to your body, it's the only one you have.

1 comment:

  1. Hopeful Learner, I am really enjoying your posts. I 100% believe that our bodies want to heal, it is just finding exactly what it needs that is the challenge. I have been working really hard at being med free and at my naturopath's suggestion, have decided to go back on meds. She told me sometimes our bodies just get so out of line that we need something like the drugs to help us get past the pain so we can continue to work alternatively. Plus, she reminded me that even though the rheumatologists say drugs are forever, that it is my choice. I can take them now for some relief and keep working on healing my body in other ways and someday, I will be off again. I don't know how far your RA has progressed but I hope with all my heart that you can heal without the use of drugs. Either way, it seems like you will be making good healthy choices for yourself.

    ReplyDelete