Thursday, May 13, 2010

Reflections

There are events in life that cause us to pause and think back on the past, ponder the present and question the future. One of these events almost always trigger this reflection, and that event is death. It is a simple, reoccurring, unstoppable event that we as humans have absolutely no control over. Some of us fight it, others welcome it and then there are those who ignore it.

Today was a day where I stopped and looked into the mirror of my mind, pondered thoughts that have been pushed about my mind multiple times. Today my boyfriend had to put his dog, Brandy, down. She has been ill for a while, and life has finally caught up with her. It still amazes me how much the death of a pet can affect a person. I had several rats a few years ago who had died of seizures while I held them in my hands. The vet couldn't figure out what was wrong with them, and I was left holding each lethargic body until the final spasm took the breath from their lungs. This happened almost three years ago, and I still have moments where I mourn my lost pets. They were my friends, my family, my confidants, my joy.

If I have learned anything from death, it is that it is sometimes inevitable. You can run, you can hide, but you will die someday regardless of what you say or do. It's a harsh realization that makes you stop and wonder what are you doing here, why are you here?

I have no idea why we are here on Earth, but I do have my theories. One of these theories is that we are here to help one another, to learn from one another and to help the Earth and all the creatures who inhabit It's beautiful lands(and seas). This idea of a purpose, regardless of how open to interpretation it may be, provides a small beacon of hope and clarity on days where I think that life is truly pointless. I do believe everything happens for a reason, and death is just another part of life. It is change, which is why we fear it. But why fear what you can embrace? If you cannot avoid it, why not accept it?

On a lighter note, the other ingredient in the sore joint cream that I mentioned in yesterday's blog is cinnamon. So the three main ingredients are cinnamon, black pepper and ginger. I have had very little pain today, but am stiff.

Positive thought for today?

Life is what you make it.

RIP Brandy. You were a wonderful, beautiful dog full of personality. May you be at peace where ever you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment