Saturday, May 7, 2011

Is there a third option?

Maybe I am just having one of those days, but I feel like I am having a moment of realization. I am seriously beginning to wonder if RA can be managed by diet, exercise or any other non-medical form. Yes, I know that some people respond well to changes in their diet, or increased exercise, ect ect, while others respond to medication. I am just wondering where do I sit between these two options. Is there a third option?

I don't want to go on medication for the pain or to help prevent any further problems caused by the RA. I mean, when I sit and think about all of the "possible" side effects, is it really worth it? What would happen if I just decided to flat out say no to all possible medications for the rest of my life? Is my liver, stomach, kidney or other vital organ worth living pain free? Does medication really help or just temporarily off set the problems associated with RA?

So where do people like me sit? People who don't want to take medication but aren't really seeing a permanent change in RA with diet change?

2 comments:

  1. I have often wondered this myself. I am currently taking prednisone (yes that evil med we all love to hate) to manage my ra along with tramadol (generic Ultram). I also started taking Chicken Cartalidge II, Evening Primrose Oil and Omega 3 Fatty Acids to try alternate treatments. I have doe alot of the DMRADS also but have terrible med allergies. I feel like we are walking this tight rope...always. It is not easy. No, not easy at all. I am also trying to find a DO or doctor of osteopath who can help me manage other options. I am not opposed to the DMRADS they just haven't worked for me and gave me terrible allergic reactions and/or side effects. No, not an easy journey that we face. I also tried the glutein free diet, dairy free, soy free also. Not much luck with that either but we still eat pretty healthy here in my home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deb,

    I'm sorry to hear about your med allergies. It would certainly make treating RA harder for you. Hopefully you have lots of luck in finding a DO. I try to keep a healthy diet, but sometimes it is so much easier to say than to do! How do you find the Chicken Cartalidge II, Evening Primrose Oil and Omega 3's? Are they helping with any of your symptoms yet or have you just started to take them?

    ReplyDelete