Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A lesson in being love

Today's post is a little different from the usual arthritis talk, but I would really like to share it with you. Do you ever have one of those days where everything seems to be going wrong, but you still can't help but be in a great mood? That is the kind of day I have been having.

I work in a coffee shop/cafe and the rough morning started with me dreaming of my deceased father, then waking up late. The bus was late. I made a pot of coffee without the pot. I threw tongs across the kitchen(accidentally might I add). I was dropping change, running into things and dropping eggs. Normally I would be so upset at this point that I would not even be able to fake a smile and thankyou towards the customer.

Today was different. I feel like the puzzle pieces of my life are coming together, and the last few pieces are no longer missing. I really believe that everything happens for a reason, even if we are not able to understand what that reason is. My father's illness and death, my bad days, strangers on the street...everything is coming together.

I ran into a woman and her teenage son today while waiting to catch the bus. She looked sick and her son was saying they needed to get her home so her sugars could be checked. It just so happened that I had  a chocolate bar in my bag, and I had offered it to the woman. It turns out that she is diabetic, and she accepted the chocolate bar happily. We were talking for a few minutes and she told me she has cancer and her kidneys are now being affected - just like my dad.

I was reminded of how my father helped so many people before the cancer took so much away from him. He would give cigarettes to people who asked for them, talk to people who looked down or lonely. He became love. Love is kind. Love is giving and not expecting anything in return. Love is open minded. Nonjudgmental. Love is warm and welcoming.

Today I decided to be love. No matter what happened, I welcomed it with love. I smiled because I was truly happy despite everything that had gone wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment