Sunday, October 24, 2010

Dr McDougall

I was doing some research today and found a very interesting article about diet and arthritis that I would like to share with you. I say diet, but really it is more of a lifestyle change, eliminating certain foods while eating more of other foods. Here is the link, and in today's blog I will be talking about the article and some key points that I think may be of interest.

The article is from Dr McDougall's website and talks about his way of treating patients, which is by a vegetarian or vegan diet. Dr McDougall eliminates certain foods depending on what disease or condition he is treating. For arthritis he also eliminates gluten from the diet.

A few interesting points he stresses is the importance of low fat in the diet. He says "Those vegan diets that have failed to help arthritis patients have been high in vegetable oils, which are known to damage intestinal integrity" and he also mentions that little to no oil be used, including flaxseed oil.

I was under the impression that flaxseed oil was very good for you, but I guess if one saw it as a must, they could stick with the actual flaxseed. I am not sure what I make of this yet, but am still eliminating meat from my diet.

I have been doing good so far, at least with the red meat. Right now my biggest problem is with dairy. I just can't seem to say no to the cheese. I hear that nutritional yeast has a cheesy like flavor and is great on top of casseroles and the like. I may have to give it a try.

My other concern is eliminating fish from my diet. I am a born Newfoundlander, and love my fish. I don't eat it every day, but usually have it once to twice a month. I am pretty sure I have no reaction to fish, and am really thinking about riding my diet of all other meat and poultry.

What is your take on Dr McDougall's diet and study?

1 comment:

  1. Dr. McDougall has been around a long time, advocating a very low fat diet as an answer to obesity and other ills. However, many experts now question the safety and healthiness of eliminating all fats from the diet. Our bodies NEED some fats, and it's lucky that we can choose the healthy ones to eat, rather than the bad, saturated and trans-fat ones that block arteries and pack on weight. There's nothing wrong with a diet that includes fish (SO good for you!), lean meat, lots of fresh vegetables and wholegrain breads. Nothing wrong with gluten-free, either, if you're thinking of trying that. But remember there's no proof that ANY food can trigger rheumatoid arthritis. It's an autoimmune disease; there is no cure yet.

    Be patient, try different foods. I wish you the best of luck, Stacie.

    ReplyDelete